Recipe for whole wheat bread. It looks like this is a photocopy, as the left side is a bit cut off.
Whole Wheat Bread - Sesshin (Koshu)
1/2 cup honey or mild molasses
1/2 (cup?) melted butter or liquid shortening
1 teasp. salt
2 tables. yeast dissolved in 1/3 cup lukewarm water
3 cups milk scalded and cooled
Approx. 9 cups whole wheat flour
1. Scald and cool milk.
2. Stir molasses, shortening, salt, dissolved yeast into cooled milk
3. Stir in 1/2 flour and beat well
4. Cover and let sponge rise until light
5. Stir down and add remaining flour
6. Knead adding more flour if necessary, dough should be almost soft but not sticky
7. Let rise until doubled again
8. Turn our on floured board and flatten and let rest (couple of minutes)
9. Shape into two loaves and place in buttered bread pans
10. Let rise until doubled
11. Bake 375 degree oven for 35-40 min or until done
Optional - Add sesame seed at step #3, 1/4=1/3 cup per loaf. Substitute 1/2 graham flour - makes it taste more like cake
Found in "Ginko: A Practical Guide" by Georges Halpern. Published by Avery, 1998.
-Click to enlarge photos-